October 04, 2009

Double Feature: Whip It! & Zombieland



















Of course it's not unusual for me to go to the cinema one night, and to go to the cinema the following night. This weekend was no exception.

On Friday, the girls and I went to the Alameda Cineplex to watch Whip It! Now, the crowds that had gathered there had been for Zombieland, so the auditorium was not packed at all. The film was cute, funny, edgy, and I stayed entertained throughout the entire film. And I mean it. I've never told anyone this, but everytime I am at the cinema, I always think about what I'm going to do after the film. For Whip It! all I could think about was what was going to happen next. The film had such a wonderful indie quality to it, not only was our girl Juno in it, but her life is just so wonderful. I know I've said many times before that I want to lead my life like an indie film, Whip It! was no exception. From cute indie rockstar boyfriend, to an alternative full contact sport, I grew envious of Ellen Page's character. The scenes were shot beautifully, and although you are not subtle at all, Drew Barrymore (the heart magnet!) you are an excellent director. Whip It! arguably had the most beautiful underwater scenes. I wonder how high the spike of people taking an interest in roller derby will be in a week. I know I'm already getting my skates on!

On Saturday, after a really long night at the weaving studio, we decided to go see Zombieland on a whim. Now, I love zombie movies more than anything else. And, despite my current persuasion, I will never, ever get over a hot babe shooting zombies. With that said, Zombieland was more of a fun comedy than horror movie. Although there are copious amounts of gratuitous gore, that is to be expected in a zombie film. The main character, Mr. Adventureland was adorable with his firm stance on following the rules of survival, and all the characters in this rag tag caravan of survivors compliment eachother very well. And then there was Bill Murray. No one expected Bill Murray's cameo as himself. There were many intense "WTF are they going to do now?!" moments, and a bunch of "Oh god how cliché" moments. While something's were a little bit of a stretch in the film, I think they were forgivable given that this is a movie called Zombieland. I went home, turned on my PS2 and played Resident Evil all night long.

But yeah, double feature!

Weekend Box Office

1. Zombieland 25 Million
2. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 16.7 Million
3. Toy Story 12.5 Million
4. The Invention Of Lying 7.3 Million
5. Whip It! 4.9 Million

No comments: