October 04, 2009

Live Review: Acts of Sedition, Comadre, Soul Control, Dangers


Wes, drummer for Comadre, tearing it up.

I can't even begin to explain how excited I was for this show. It happened last Sunday at the Gilman in Berkeley. Four bands played, three from California, and one band from Rhode Island. I know most readers of this blog don't listen to Hardcore but here goes nothing:

Acts of Sedition opened the show. At this time only about 30 people were in the room (yes I counted). They played a cool set. They had very old school punk sounding vocals with some killer guitar riffs. The drummer was insane and definitely kept a lot of the songs together. I would have enjoyed it more if the sound wasn't so bad. I could barely hear the front man singing over the highly distorted guitars and blaring drums. A fun set overall though.

Comadre drew some more people luckily, now about 60 or 70. This band is one of my favorites and seeing them ruled. There's nothing like watching this band live. Unlike anyone else I've seen, they all set up and stand extremely close to each other and have the crowd gather around them, almost nose to nose (they played on the floor, it ruled). Then they release a frenzy of off-beat guitars, crazy vocals, and driven drums. It was awesome, you can tell these guys love what they do. I bought a shirt and grabbed a few free pins/stickers.

Soul Control definitely surprised me. I was not that excited to see them play as I have never really listened to them. Now I'm kicking myself for sleeping on it. These guys killed it. The four piece suit from Rhode Island unleashed an unending onslaught of funky, unique, and overall fun music. Nobody in the crowd could stand still to their melodies. I am definitely going to see this band again.

Dangers was finally up. About 150 to 200 people were at Gilman now. One of the angriest, loudest, fastest and most fun bands I've ever experienced. The whole crowd went crazy, and those who knew the lyrics to all of their songs (me) were up at the mic the entire set. They did play a new song off their upcoming album, Messy, Isn't It?, which got me even more stoked than I originally was. The crowd beat the singer to a pulp with their attempt to grab the mic to sing their hearts out. Definitely the most fun band of the night.

No comments: