September 22, 2009

"In The Market For Food."























My family and I just moved and of course along with moving came stress, and clutter, and short fuses. How far did we move exactly? Oh, just to the other side of town. Maybe a mile, at most. But relentless of the distance our experience goes to prove that moving is never fun.
My new house is a culinary failure at first glance considering the kitchen is half the size of our old one (a cutting board takes up all our counter space). It wasn't until I ventured down the street from the new place and stumbled on a local market. I had passed by this place thousands of times but never once had I stopped to take a look and explore. And explore really is the perfect word because there was an overflow of local produce to be discovered.
This brings me to my point. Local markets really are the best place to buy your food. I understand they may not have specialty foods for the most experimental cooks or the guilty-pleasure hostess cupcakes for those starved of childhood comforts. Overall though, your local market really is a place to behold.
I was making a squash casserole and flew down to my local market to grab some Yellow Summer Squash. Not only was the squash quite tasty; it was cheaper than the supermarket and organically grown. Most of the produce at my local market is from small, somewhat close farms which translates to more money into the local economy. It also means produce that is not genetically modified or showered in pesticides in order to retain it's unnaturally bright color and flawless shape. Your body will thank you later.
And don't think that local markets are just for produce. I snagged myself a bag of tortilla chips, and some pretty delicious goat cheese while wandering the food stands, which makes grumpy Kelly a happy camper. And if my local market has the power to relieve me of my post-moving stress disorder, I'm sure it can work wonders in your life.

Click here to help you find local markets where you live.

No comments: